Monday, November 21, 2005

Looking overseas...


Has your pride ever gotten in the way of getting to your destination a lot faster? How about if you were working on something and you've hit a brick wall but you still refuse to ask for help from the person in the next cubicle even though you know he's gotten past that particular wall? In my neck of the woods, I've been humbled many times when a complex task is easily accomplished by a few simple commands. Especially for something that requires a quick response, one should not hesitate to ask for help.

I've always believed that we have a very solid educational system. I compare some of the things that my cousins are studying in the US with what I learned in college. Sometimes I find that what's basic for us is already advanced for them. That's why I've been thinking of sending TNgal's and I (future) kids to their grandparents in the Philippines at least until they get to the collegiate level. When that time comes they could choose whichever college they want to go to just as long as they get to come home every summer.

Reading this article (may require a free username and password) has really gotten me thinking about what kind of education our kids would get here in the US. If the educational system is being adjusted just to boost grades temporarily, that wouldn't help our kids in the future. It's like setting them up for failure as they learn nothing just to make the school system look good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my former boss is also frustrated with what is being offered to her kids, in private schools at that, in the US...

i guess it's really tough being a parent, and wanting the best for your kids... :)

oneinthree said...

Hindi mo nga maintindihan minsan kung bakit ganon. Kung sino pa ang tinuringan na super power, sila pa ang nahuhuli pagdating sa pagtuturo sa mga kabataang papalit sa kanila.
So stay in school and get straight A's!