Saturday, November 19, 2005

What is family?

I come from a very large family. I don't know what it was in the 50's or 60's but it seems a lot more people conceive a lot of children during that time. Of course I have no statistics to back it up but probably if I search the net something will come up. Anyway, I am glad to come from such a large group of cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents, granduncles and grandaunts, etc. When I was a kid, and up til now, I was amazed, and a little confused, whenever someone would introduce me to a new aunt or fourth cousin. I am very happy to know that TNgal also feels the same way as we hope to have at least four kids in our long and mostly happy marriage (well ok in the near future marriage).

We all come from different backgrounds, and beliefs at times, but we all know we are linked somehow. If not by blood, it's by some sliver of relations of long time friendships. Even if we have not met each other, just by knowing that you are the cousin of an aunt of my father is enough for me to shake your hand and give you a hug.

So in this world today of adopted children and artificial insemination, what is family for them? I found this article (this may require a free account) about how children conceived by an anonymous donor are trying to find and connect with their siblings. One of the kids even introduces his brothers and sisters as "This is my sister from another mother, and this is my brother from another mother, this is my other sister from another mother' " and so on."

No comments: