Monday, December 05, 2005

Mommy, why does that car smell like french fries?

These are the days of rising prices, what with the price of a barrel of crude oil hovering at $60. Since your food is being trucked from one location to another, gas has to be processed to get to your house, water has to flow to your pipes, all of these things add up. I was comparing what I paid for gas this month with the same month last year and there is a significant increase. So I've resumed what I always did when I was a kid and I would turn off the lights in any room when nobody is there. Every little bit counts.

Over the summer, the company I work for wanted me to work at our sister site. It would have cut my commute time in half but I had to drive to get there! It was a good thing I refused as oil prices went up after a couple of months. I would prefer to walk rather than spend $50 a week to fill up a gas tank.

I wonder what would happen if I switched to biofuels. This article (this may require a free login) reports a merchant who uses the byproduct of his company as fuel for his converted car. Though using this type of fuel may render void the warranty on his car and he has to make the fuel for himself, he still keeps doing it. Hopefully as more and more alternative sources of fuel are made available for vehicles, car companies would make more cars that can use them.

No comments: