Thursday, February 02, 2006

TROOH 7 - Our humble abode...


My tasks for the wedding was making sure we had proper financing for the wedding and getting everything ready when we come back here. One of my major tasks was finding a dwelling for me and Malou. I only started looking sometime during December of last year since most people are moving out and more units are available during this time. I was getting pretty worried as it was already late January and I had yet to find an apartment. Hey, it wasn't like I was looking for a palace that was dirt cheap. As long as it had one bedroom and the place was clean I would have taken it.

The first apartment I looked at was still being renovated. The realtor said that it would be available on Feb 1st. It really wasn't much since work was still going on. What I liked about it was the free standing bath tub in the bathroom! It reminded me of those western movies where people soak in a tub that was in the middle of a small room. Anyway, I just told the realtor that I will call her again the following week to find out if the apartment was done.

During this time I was calling realtors/owners trying to find out if they had any vacancies. Most of them didn't call me back and some had listed bad phone numbers. What can a guy do? Anyway, during the last Sunday of January I found a couple of listings on craigslist and promptly gave them a call. Two were located in the same area where I currently reside and another was in Queens. The guy from Queens never called me back but I scheduled with the realtor/owner of the two other listings. I made sure to see them both on the same day. After work though, as I was getting ready to go, the owner of one of the apartments called me to say that somebody got the apartment already! So by the time I got to New Jersey I was feeling low. I didn't have high expectations for the other one. Boy was I wrong.

It was one of the condos I pass by every time I get a haircut or go to a doctor's appointment. I was always intrigued by it because it always looked nice from the outside. When the realtor showed me the inside I couldn't believe it. The corridors were very clean and I did not smell any obnoxious odors wafting from anywhere. Their elevator is quirky in the sense that you had to open a door to get inside (of course an inner door closes when you go up and down the building). Also, the floor number starts with the ground floor. Hey I'm back in Germany! The condo had nice hardwood floors and felt pretty spacious. I could already see Malou and me cooking our first meal together. I just hope the realtor didn't feel the vibe I was giving off as we looked in the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room. I did make sure to fill up the application form because I was pretty sure I'll be back.

And early yesterday, I signed my first apartment lease.

4 comments:

Alex said...

I know your plight in finding a place my wife and I are going to be moving into ours and it took us months to find the right fit.

oneinthree said...

It was tough going for a bit as no one answered my queries. One can get very frustrated hunting for a home. One has to stick with it though. It was fun looking at craigslist for a while especially the entries that have pictures with them. I could just imagine myself living there.

Leah said...

congratulations on your new home! :)

we also went through the same ordeal. it was like waiting for nothing! but still, house hunting was fun kasi we could do it online together. :D

oneinthree said...

Ahh that is true! In our case though we decided that I would take care of everything here. That way, she won't have to worry about where we are going to stay after the honeymoon is over. Maybe when we actually go house hunting, it would be a lot better. :)