Tuesday, September 20, 2005

FB Those four letter words...

=
I have cursed. Boy have I cursed a mouthful specially in my teenage years. I distinctly remember during my freshman year when cursing was a favorite pastime. We would try to grab the attention of another student by saying "Hoy g@g0!" At the end of a long exam you could overhear us saying "T@ng1n* eksamen iyon ah!" I know of one classmate who would exclusively use "put@ng1n@m0" wherever he went. There was this one time he would say it one after the other and it was quite hilarious. Oh and of course, we wouldn't be caught dead saying these things in front of a faculty or staff member unless they were cool with it

Apparently, there are people out there who have been studying the use of swear words (you may have to sign up for an account to read this article). One of the things I would agree with in the study was that mouthing profanities is a way of reducing stress. Also, most curses involve something about the genitalia or bodily function. Nowadays though I've pretty much minimized my cursing and even replaced some of them to some nonsense words. One thing I found funny was that some words that are benign today were apparently vulgarities in the previous centuries! Considering that profanities reflect what current society deems taboo, that does make sense.

No comments: